|Dakota tribal wisdom
says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
However, in business we often try other
strategies with dead horses, including the following:
- Buying a stronger whip.
- Changing riders.
- Saying things like "This is the way we always have
ridden this horse."
- Appointing a committee to study the horse.
- Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead
- Increasing the standards to qualify as a dead horse rider.
- Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
- Pass legislation declaring that "This horse is not
- Unilaterally declaring, "no horse is too dead to
- Blaming the horse's parents.
- Providing additional funding to increase the horse's
- Do a Cost Analysis Study to see if contractors can ride
the horse cheaper.
- Declare the horse is "better, faster and
- Revisit the performance requirements for horses.
- Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.