Protests for Freedom


BOSTON (AP) August 4 — Police and National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed Sunday by elements of a para-military right wing extremist faction. Military & law enforcement sources estimate that 72 were killed and more than 200 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.

Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist militia faction, has citizens who have links to the radical right wing tax protest movement. Gage blamed the militia for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices.

The Governor, who described the groups organizers as "terrorists," issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the governments efforts to secure law & order.

The law enforcement team augmented by elements of the National Guard were sent to raid a militia arsenal after wide spread refusal of right wing extremists to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons. This decision followed a meeting in early July between government & law enforcement which authorized the confiscation of the illegal arms, known as the weapons of choice among criminals and militia's. One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out "that none of these people would have been killed had right wing extremists obeyed the law and turned over the weapons voluntarily."

Police & Government forces initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons & ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily armed militia extremists who had been tipped off regarding the governments plans.

During a tense standoff in Lexington's town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right wing extremists. Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange.

Ironically, the local citizens blamed the government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, heavily armed militia groups from surrounding areas had descended upon the police and guard units. Colonel Smith finding his forces overmatched by militia mobs, ordered a retreat.

Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor has also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government. Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as "ringleaders" of the extremist militia faction, remain at large.



Revolution Begins, Boston, 1776 (as covered by the Associated Press)

Compiled By Charles Norton and New American Magazine

(c) Copyright 1997 Weekly Outlook. All Rights Reserved.

Material in this periodical may be used with permission.


Search TYSK

TYSK eagle

News Depts Articles Library
Lite Stuff Links Credits Home